Monday, October 18, 2010

You make me feel....

Day Six: Five people who mean a lot to you

I thought I'd focus on the women in my life.  The ones that have directly influenced the woman I am.

1. Dominika.  She and I met my freshman year of college and I have never stumbled into a greater relationship due to our last names came next to each other in the alphabet.  


2. Angie.  My role model.  Angie was a Career Service Specialist at the business school when I was a student worker in that department.  She had done the college program during her undergrad years.  She was smart, grounded, not without challenges in her life, which she always handled with grace and dignity. 

3. Mrs. Hampton.  The wife of my set design and construction teacher in high school. She has become a cherished confidante.  When my life was the biggest mess, when I have been facing the biggest decisions, when I've felt my options were few and desperate - Mrs. Hampton was there.  No questions.  No judgment. 

4. Cyndi.  A kindred spirit.  Proof that I wasn't crazy for thinking the things I thought, liking the things I liked, worrying about the things I worried about.  We were almost the same person and that was an amazing find when I thought everything I was doing was wrong. 

5. Chrystal.  A colleague at first.  And not one I got along with easily.  I learned how to take feedback from Chrystal.  I learned that feedback when done correctly was professional and helpful, not demeaning and critical.  I learned that people do want you to perform better.  I learned I'm not as smart as I think I am.  Chrystal taught me about collaboration and working to your strengths and believing in yourself. 

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh...I feel so special, thank you! Thank YOU for making me feel normal :-)

    ReplyDelete

What do you have to say?