Let's start the story of tonight with a story about last night.
I was leaving work with a new pal and on our way to our cars she tells me that she and another co-worker had been discussing me and my boy situation (which is essentially that I'm still getting used to being not married and that I have one complete jackass hitting on me at work, and one very nice boy crushing on me. Boy being the operative word in that statement. It should go without saying that neither of these are doing too much for me.). And they had decided in their conversation that Colin would be coming back to me any day now. She said I was awesome and "there is nothing you can't do." She told me she didn't know how he thought he would ever find anyone better than me.
This was all very sweet to hear and kind of her to say to me. I was so proud of myself for becoming that person again - the person I was trying to get back to - the person that someone would think couldn't be left by a reasonable man.
I would be lying if I said I never had those thoughts myself. There are so many times where I realize I miss pieces of Colin sooo badly. Movie compatibility, and maturity, and being married to the smartest man ever, and the predictability of him wanting a large Coke in the middle of the afternoon...those were pluses. And I struggle with the idea that this was my marriage, this was the guy.
Back to tonight...I use Colin's washer and dryer occasionally when he's out of town during the week. I pick up his mail, I figure it's a fair trade. Lately it's been harder for me to go there, to be there. Everytime I'm at our old house I see how he's making it more his and less ours. I keep thinking I should tell him I can't pick up the mail any longer. How silly does that sound? It shouldn't be so traumatic to drop mail on a counter of a house that is not mine any longer.
I thought he didn't get home until tomorrow night. So after the gym I stopped by to do a load of laundry. About half an hour in, the front door opens and in comes Colin. And the first words out of his mouth are, "Well, I used to have a garage." (I had parked in it.) I apologized. Offered to move my car. Explained I didn't think he got home tomorrow. "Nope. I get home right now." He immediately leaves to go get something to eat. It's clear I should not be there any longer. I throw my stuff in the dryer and will pick it up later and get the heck out of there.
And I laugh at how stupid I was 24 hours ago, indulging a friend in the idea that Colin missed anything about me.
I got home and allowed myself to be heartbroken for two minutes. Then lit a candle, got a glass of wine, and sketched my idea for a second tattoo on me in scrapbook markers. (10 more pounds until the second tattoo. So excited. Thought I should see what it might look like on me.)
Then I thought about why I got so sad so fast at that interaction. It was a shock to my system that someone was so obviously not happy to see me. I generally get a fairly positive reaction to people these days. People at work like me - tell me I brighten up a day, people at the gym smile at me, life is sunny. I was completely caught off guard by someone not being happy to see me. To be so disappointed that I was there, that they couldn't even manage a "hello" before making sarcastic comments about their garage being occupied.
::sound of glass shattering::
And call me crazy cat lady if you must, but going home and having my furry baby want to nuzzle at me and be petted. That made all the difference. I'll be okay. My life is sunny.
Thursday, April 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





I'm sorry, I know that must have been painful, but in a strange way necessary. Some people can manage to break up, get back together, break up, get back together. I personally don't think that works. At least, I know it will never work for me. My sister on the other hand, has done such and seems happy. Never know.
ReplyDeleteBut if you were already questioning the situation, and then seeing his reaction, I think you have your answer. Find a new place to do laundry. There may be a time in your lives where you can bump into each other and things would be normal, apparently that time is not now.
Give yourself space to be that sunny person. Don't let him take that from you.
Ditto what Kelli said! And also, I'm glad I'm not the only one who makes weight loss in exchange for tattoo plans. :-)
ReplyDeleteYou are a sunny person and you definitely make my day brighter (even when I don't get to see you in person!) Don't let his negativity bring you down. Remember, I was around for most of your marriage and while you were compatible in many areas, there were areas that were lacking. There's a reason you guys aren't together any more and while it feels good to think of him missing you (and I believe deep down he does), he's not the one that brings out the best in you. You deserve so much more.
ReplyDeleteWhile this was a hard night, I believe it happened for a reason. It's time, my dear, for you to move on. And if it makes you a crazy cat lady for enjoying coming home to a kitty that likes to be petted then I'm right there with ya!