Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Housing Update

Hi friends -
Let me tell you about what's happening with my upcoming move back to The Lou (St. Louis for you non St. Louisans).

I loved apartment #1. I wasn't able to see it in person. I saw it online, loved it, loved the neighborhood, loved that it was over a coffee shop so I can smell freshly roasted coffee ALL THE TIME. I sent my mom to look at it. I know it sounds a little lame, but I knew she would tell me in great detail about the place. She said it was bright and spacious and had great closets and a gas stove and a dishwasher (something I've learned I need - I despise doing dishes). I got the application for the apartment and before I could return it I was told someone else got to it first. Oh, the heartbreak.

So, last weekend I went back to St. Louis to look at another place that I thought looked really nice. And it was. It was still in the neighborhood I liked, but not on the best street. It had a similar layout to the other place. It had charm, a sunroom, a totally adequate kitchen and two fireplaces. I applied and would have been happy to live there.

Then I get word from Apt #1 that the first applicants may not be able to take it. Then Apt #2 says he's having trouble running credit checks (not on my end - because credit check rules have changed). So, I have a choice. I can't keep Apt #2 waiting until I know for sure if #1 will be available. I feel #1 is worth the risk. So, I tell Apt #2 that I'm not interested any longer. I fax the completed application to #1 on the off chance it becomes available. If it doesn't, I'll be 30 and homeless in 28 days. The idea of being divorced and living in my mother's basement at age 30 was NOT appealing. Can you imagine?

.......then.......I get an email from Apt #1 saying the first couple did indeed back out. That I'm next in line and they just need Colin's signature as co-signer and they'll start running my background check. Colin is going there tomorrow morning to fill out his part of the paperwork - everything should be clean and then it should be mine!

I don't want to get too excited yet as some things could still go wrong. Just wanted to let you know that the outlook was good. The lovely and bright apartment above the coffee shop just two blocks from one of the largest Victorian parks in the country could be mine. Please continue to keep your fingers crossed, I will continue to update you. And of course, if I get it, you're all welcome to visit - I'll have lots of room! (Did I mention it's a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom place - one of those bedrooms will be a craft room. With these awesome pink paisley print curtains that I plan to make out of some fabric I bought a few weeks ago anticipating this rockin' place.)

3 comments:

  1. I really really really hope that you get your apartment! Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!!!! I really hope this works out as I know how heartbroken you were when you lost out on it initially. My fingers are crossed and I'll send as many positive thoughts I can your way. It seems to me this apartment has your name written ALL over it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome. I hope it works out. Sometimes it's scary, but really nice when things fall into place.
    And the idea of smelling coffee always? Heavenly.

    ReplyDelete

What do you have to say?