Wednesday, December 22, 2010
The holiday family photo
No. This is not really my family. Clearly. But they're awfully close to it these days. These are my "girls". And this is the story of our Christmas party.
We started with dinner. I can't lie. I took a major shortcut when it came to the appetizer this time because I was focusing on dessert. I had a jar of this in my pantry - perhaps from last Christmas - and I poured it over a block of cream cheese and served with Ritz Crackers. It looks much prettier than it sounds due to the pretty red color of the relish. The girls devoured it and raved over it, perhaps more so than they did my mini artichoke pizza appetizers a few dinner parties ago.
Dinner was Cornish game hens, stuffing and a broccoli & cauliflower gratin. Drinks were pomegranate champagne cocktails. Pour in a splash of vanilla vodka into the bottom of a flute, add a splash of pomegranate juice and then top with champagne. I added some pomegranate seeds to the drink as a garnish and it was a beautiful and delicious holiday drink.
After dinner we disclosed our Secret Santas. We drew names last week. I had Angela (the blonde in the pink sweatshirt above). I'm so happy to say that we were so thoughtful and excited to give our presents than we were to get them. I think it's a great sign of knowing each other really well. Meg was my SS and she got me a fantastic new champagne colored scarf, a bottle of Coppola wine PLUS a murder mystery kit to host a themed dinner party! We've already decided who will be each character and we have high hopes of involving our men in the evening as well.
The present giving continued and we saw Katie get glassware, Meg get new jewelry, Angela received (from me) a cake carrier and a cardigan and Ashley got a one of a kind, original Katie painting! It was perfect.
After presents, we played some Just Dance 2 on the Wii. It was so much fun! I highly recommend some Just Dance 2.
Once we were exhausted from all the movin' and shakin' I pulled out the dessert. I made some Tuxedo Brownie bites (recipe below), some raspberry truffle tarts and provided a hot chocolate bar!
I had five cups of hot chocolate made and an assortment of add ins: amaretto, peppermint schnapps, Baileys, marshmallows and whipped cream. Everyone customized their drink and then we settled in for some How the Grinch Stole Christmas - the cartoon version of course.
It may sound hokey, but it was the perfect holiday evening. It had all the elements I love about this time of year. Friends and laughter and warmth and giving and thoughtfulness and a lit Christmas tree in the background. Merry Christmas, friends.
Tuxedo Brownie Cups
1 package (19-21 oz) fudge brownie mix (plus ingredients to make mix)
2 squares (1 oz each) white chocolate for baking
2 tablespoons milk
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 cup thawed, frozen whipped topping
1 pint small strawberries, sliced
orange zest, mint leaves, melted semi-sweet chocolate for baking
(optional)*
1. Preheat oven to 325. Spray cups of deluxe mini-muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray. Prepare brownie mix according to directions for cake-like brownies. Using small scoop, fill each cup 2/3 full. Bake 14 minutes or until edges are set (do not overbake).
2. Remove pan to cooling rack. Immediately press tops of brownie with tart shaper to make indentations. Cool in pan 15 minutes. Loosen edges and gentle remove the brownies from pan. Cool completely. Repeat with remaining batter.
3. Microwave white chocolate and milk, uncovered on high 1 minute; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Combine cream cheese and powdered sugar; mix well. Gradually stir in white chocolate mixture until smooth. Fold in whipped topping.
4. Pipe mixture into cooled brownie cups using the Easy Accent Decorator (or other piping tool). Arrange strawberry slices on top. Garnish as desired. Place in airtight container and refrigerate 1-3 hours before serving.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






Sounds like a pretty awesome evening!
ReplyDeleteHope it helped perk you up.
Merry Christmas.
I want a pic of them!
ReplyDelete