- Friday afternoon went to look at a house. It was a GREAT house. It's in a "transitional" neighborhood. It's a GREAT price. The house next door is "boarded up." Sarah vs. house hunting...winner: timing. Happy in my apartment a while longer. The good houses will still be there when I'm really ready.
- Friday night was a low key dinner with Adam Science. He is a master of delicious food made from simple ingredients. I was a tad stressed out due to the house-hunting situation and sure I made for less than amazing company. Sarah vs. handling stress...winner: stress. Took some Lunesta and knocked myself out for the night so I didn't lay awake for hours.
- Saturday morning I shook off the funk as best I could and tackled the assembly of the china cabinet that arrived at my house earlier that week. I ordered one from Crate and Barrel and had been looking at the pieces spread all over my dining room since Tuesday. Sarah vs. construction projects...winner: Sarah the Handy!
- Saturday night I brought Adam Science to meet my sister, Emilie. Emilie, my picky eater sister, loves this one Indian restaurant, which comes as a surprise to the rest of her family. We met there and had a very nice time. Emilie said he "seems nice." Sarah vs. boyfriend meeting more family...winner: Adam Science. He and Emilie got along nicely and Emilie's declaration that he is nice and cute is high praise.
- After dinner we went back to my apartment and walked up to the gelato place a few blocks away. Oh, yummy gelato. I had some chocolate and some hazelnut. Sarah vs. dessert...winner: Italian ice cream - every time.
- Sunday was a bonus weekend day since this was a three day weekend. The day started with Adam Science making waffles. We're talking made from scratch with beaten egg whites waffles. He's such a catch. :) Sarah vs. breakfast...winner: Sarah. For catching the boy who makes her made from scratch waffles.
- We were then on a mission to buy a saucepan and to spend a coupon for some free spices at Penzey's. (Plus, I had to pay up on a bet I had lost an hour before regarding the name of a street. The street changes names! I have to say that betting with spices is really something only some serious food nerds would do.) I had heard of Penzey's Spices, but had yet to venture into the store, lest I come out bankrupt. It is a treasure trove of delicious smells and interesting blends. I came out with two new chili seasonings. Sarah vs. Penzeys...winner: The Chili Cook Off coming up on 10.10.10!
- Walking away from Penzey's we stumbled upon a store called Vom Fass that was advertising vinegars and oils in the window. Of course, we went in. There were samples of citrus vinegars and pomegranate ones, truffle oils and balsamics, scotches and whiskeys. This is a very good store. Sarah vs. Cherry Whiskey...winner: Cherry Whiskey. I could sip on that on a fall evening with no problem.
- Dinner that night was grilled pizzas. I wish I had my camera for those. Adam Science makes the best pizza dough and it's perfect for pizzas on the grill. We picked up mushrooms and sauteed them with garlic and put them on the pizza with mozzarella and fontina and served it alongside a salad dressed with a pomegranate vinegar dressing he made from our purchases that afternoon. Sarah vs. pizza...winner: Pizza!
- Monday - the bonus weekend day. I had rare motivation to go clean out my junk room. Oddly enough, the last time I did a "Sarah vs. the weekend" post I had worked in that room some. I had not worked in there since. Once again, sad. Sad I have a junk "room", sad I still had one after a year in this apartment, sad I have so much junk. Sad no more. I rocked it. The room "not fit for man nor beast" is now open and clean! Sarah vs. the junk room...winner: Sarah the Tidy!
- Due to cleaning up the junk room, I found the photo hooks I had specially ordered to complete the photo montage in the dining room. Woohoo! I got this idea from Little Brown Pen who takes the MOST beautiful photos of Paris. She was selling a perpetual calendar made from those photos and also just the brackets to make your own collage. Once I saw Smitten Kitchen's photos of food I knew I had found my project inspiration. I have this beautiful mural of simple and beautiful food photos covering the wall now. Sarah vs. art projects....winner: a nearly complete dining room! I think I need to add a decorative ledge or shelf above it to complete the look. It's kind of just floating there right now. I love the photos.
Monday, September 6, 2010
Sarah vs. the Weekend, Vol II
I did a post like this back in May and had some fun with it. This seemed like the perfect weekend to revisit the format.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





Loved this post and I LOVE Penzey's Spices! The spices in NZ just aren't as good!
ReplyDeleteI loved everything about this post except your funk. Especially love that you met a guy as into food as you AND totally love your dining room wall!
ReplyDeleteMiss you.
I was at Penzeys too this weekend, but to sell the spices instead of buying them. The Chili 3000 is my favorite, and you really must try their cocoa powders. And the cinnamons. And pretty much everything else. I haven't actually tried everything in the store (seriously, I only have so much space in my kitchen for storing spices), but I've really liked everything I've used. Also, they're just a darn nice company to work for.
ReplyDelete