Where have I been? What have I been up to? I know you can hardly stand the suspense...
Well, loyal reader (that's you Cyndi), I've been having a crazy good summer. I have made some new friends, solidified growing friendships, taken a quick mother-daughter trip to Jamaica, and hosted a number of small dinner parties.
Let's focus on that part for now, shall we?
I work with a bunch of charming and fun mid-20 somethings at work. A few of them are cooking impaired. I wanted to show them how easy it all can be. I invite them over, make them do the cooking, and we have a great time!
Our menu for the first one was a goat cheese stuffed chicken from Ina. I've made that before, it was excellent. We also made a broccoli dish from Ina's cookbook and some dried cherry cous cous. (Tip from chef at work: soak the dried cherries in brandy overnight the night before. AMAZING!)
There's the group the first time out. Angela, Meg, Katie and myself.
Our next adventure was Chicken Saltimbocca and Spinach Orzo. I also made Sangria and tiramisu for dessert. I had never made it before. I think it went well! This was a classic menu for me - dinner was full of my favorite fool proof recipes. Also dishes that I knew were easy to make, which is the goal. To show the girls that cooking isn't hard and doesn't take a lot of time.
I didn't take any pictures of the "before" food, but the mess my kitchen was afterwards should be the indicator of a great night and great food!
Can I tell you how delicious the fruit is after it's been in red wine, orange juice and club soda? I fished every single apple slice out of the empty pitcher of sangria and ate them. Wow!
Our most recent dinner party was a tribute to my little jaunt to Jamaica. I brought home some jerk seasoning and sauce and made jerk chicken skewers as an appetizer. We made coconut shrimp, pineapple fried rice and a carrot ginger salad for dinner with key lime cheesecake for dessert. Angela was a total dear and brought these ingredients for some killer pina coladas. They involve frozen bananas, coconut cream, coconut rum and a glass lined with honey and toasted coconut!! Holy cow!! I've never had anything so delicious.
This was my Caribbean themed table setting. Bright colors and a modified birds of paradise napkin fold.
Our next dinner is going to be French Bistro I believe...Quiche and my favorite potatoes au gratin and a simple green salad with champagne cocktails. Cream puffs for dessert maybe...
Sunday, July 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





...what a nice Harvard crew t-shirt! Did you date a Harvard crew member at some point that I missed?
ReplyDeleteYum! I love Chicken Saltemboca! (I think I spelled that wrong). Looks like you guys had fun!
ReplyDelete