Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Ladies who Lunch

I took a quick and much needed mini break from St. Louis and co-workers and just a tiny smidge of boy drama, both of the ex-husband variety and of the silly boys who don't know how to back off variety.  I headed off to Shreveport, LA to visit some of my favorite ladies, and attend some of my favorite "ladies who lunch" activities. 


This is Cyndi, one of my most favorite friends and very gracious hostess for my trip.  Cyndi is a true kindred spirit who understands some of the trials I had while in Louisiana, saw my marriage as it was, and is a fantastic sounding board all the time - for the good times, the sad times, and the times I want to be petty. 


This is us at our favorite ladies who lunch spot - the Glenwood Village Tea Room.  Where my affection for scones and lemon curd grew into a full on obsession.  We stopped there on our way to the event that motivated my visit, the Junior Leagues Shopping for a Cause.  Essentially a large shopping festival with vendors from all over.  I go for the reasonably priced pewter and the great deals on wrapping paper.  Yes.  I drove 9 hours for cheap pewter and I would do it again.  I'll have to take some pictures of the pieces I got.  I wanted to wait until I found a good spot for them or used them to take the photos.  While I was tempted by lots of good stuff this year, some beautiful jewelry, even some cut clothes, but stuck to my list.  Pewter and wrapping paper...and I did also buy some totally delicious cinnamon caramel. 


We turned around at one point in the show to come face to face with an adorable "little cake" booth!  Little Cakes is opening in May about an hour away from Shreveport.  Cyndi and I intended to pick up three of them...we ended up with six...don't ask me how that happened.   I ate that chocolate chip one on the left - it was fantastic. 

And ladies who lunch also eat dinner.  So there we are at one of Lee and Cyndi's favorite places, Wine Country Bistro.  Their regular server is a gentleman named Danny, who I had known when he worked at my favorite Shreveport restaurant, Bistro 6301.  We did have a small moment of silence for 6301 as I learned it had closed just about two weeks prior.  That had been a very special place to me and filled with good memories.  I was sorry to hear it closed. 

Here I am with Andrea.  Andrea was my co-worker in my last position at Harrah's and I adore her.  She's bright and a hard worker and lovely.  It was a delight to see her and catch up.  I was in such a lousy place, personally when last I saw her.  It was so fun to feel like myself and have a conversation with her.  She remains one of the best people I know.


And to round out my Louisiana Ladies adventure I stopped in on Kate.  Kate is extra pregnant, as she is demonstrating with the onesie on her belly.  It was a picture we had made a previous co-worker take and it seemed only fair to make Kate take one also. 

And there you have it.  A lovely visit with wonderful women.  I didn't even mind the drive time.  This is how I know I'm better.  Louisiana, I hardly knew you.  I'm sorry I was so cranky when I lived there.  You're okay in my book.  And many thanks and much love to my ladies who made it an excellent trip.  I'm lucky to count you as friends.

1 comment:

  1. How in the world did I miss this post?!

    We had so much fun while you were here & I'm so thankful you came to visit. Even if it was just for wrapping paper & cheap pewter :-) I may have eaten too much while you were here but I loved every second of it!

    You definitely seem to be on the road to recovery and while there will be bumps in the road, you are in a MUCH better place than I've seen you in ages! By the way, you looked wonderful - so full of life & happiness!

    ReplyDelete

What do you have to say?