I took a few pictures as I cooked. None of them will be as beautiful as what Ree has posted on her sight with this recipe. Seriously, this is why food photography is another one of my resolutions. Please visit that recipe and look at her step by step photos.
I have been looking forward to making this dish since the New Year. I thought I would make it one night when Colin was home watching football also and I could share it, as macaroni and cheese is one of his favorite dishes. Every weekend came and went and Colin and I never managed to have the same free time. I couldn't wait anymore. I made the dish. I opened a pretty good bottle of red wine (Frog's Leap Rutherford) and I cooked.
I used my new cast iron dutch oven pot that I received for Christmas to make the cheese sauce. The only changes I made to the dish was using whole wheat elbow macaroni and halving the amount of bacon.
It looked perfect. It looked just like her photos. Visit the site, make the macaroni.
::Photo from The Pioneer Woman::
I liked it very much. When I make it again (because I will make it again) I may omit the bacon. I think the dish tasted too much like bacon and not enough like all the delicious fresh cheese I shredded. And the cheese was glorious. I had to check it for quality many times during the shredding process.
* I bought three more. I bought three more cookbooks. I know. I know. It's a sickness. But there was a sale and there was free shipping. This is the resolution that will never end.






You made her fancy mac + cheese ~ yum! That's a recipe I've yet to try. For some reason it seems to heavy/rich for my more-often-than-not-wonky-belly but I may just have to try it given your thumbs up review (minus the bacon). I bet it paired very nicely with the Frog's Leap (oh how I love Frog's Leap!)
ReplyDeleteWhat other cookbooks did you get???
The mac n cheese looks SO good!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness...I have an intense mac and cheese weakness...and this photo is really, really playing on that! :)
ReplyDeleteI still have yet to read Pioneer Woman. I'm scared to...I'm afraid I'll become SO addicted that I'll spent hours reading the love story and everything she's ever posted!
I've made that twice now. It is so delish! I actually have leftovers in the fridge calling my name right now. For me, the more bacon and onion, the better it is!
ReplyDelete