The CEO of Starbucks, Howard Schultz, is on record saying he believes their popularity was due to the successful marketing campaign that sold Starbucks as "the third place." Consumers were looking for someplace between home and work where they could relax and indulge a little. I've heard the Harrah's CEO, Gary Loveman, talk about this concept also, stating that loyal casino guests find that the casino is their "third place." A successful "third place" is one that meets the needs of a consumer, so they are as different as the individual.
Today I rejoined the Y. With daylight savings time and the dark creeping about at 5pm it's not realistic to go running through the park. I find that once I get home after work I don't want to work out, I just want to veg. If I can go straight to the Y, I'll make the most of it. I don't even mind running on a treadmill when there's people all over. There's a different vibe at at the Y than other gyms I've belonged to. It really does feel like a community, a place where all kinds of people get together to meet different needs - kid classes and adult swim and food drives. I don't have to talk to anyone to feel like I belong.
It's good to have a third place.
Go here to read an interview with Howard Schultz.
Monday, November 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





I agree - the Y really is a different environment than other gyms. We don't have a membership, but whenever I visit my sister in Iowa we go to theirs. I always enjoy it!
ReplyDeleteYou won my Starbucks giveaway! Please email me your name and mailing address at thisminneapolislife [at] gmail [dot] com.
ReplyDelete