Let's talk about this Sunday so far. I woke up on the couch, where Quinn and I fell asleep last night. I've learned Quinn will sleep anywhere I am because my apartment is cold. I just can't bring myself to turn the heat on yet, although it was 39 degrees last night. I got up and went to the grocery store for my first crock pot meal of the fall! I needed to get it all in the slow cooker by 10:30 or so, so this was good motivation to get moving. While at the store I noticed squash were crazy on sale so I picked up a Golden Acorn and Butternut Squash - I believe some soup will be made later this week. Right next to the squash was a large display full of pomegranates. It was appealing. What does one do with a pomegranate? I do not know, but I bought one, and I'm going to find out. Stay tuned later this week for how the pomegranate adventure pans out. I picked up the rest of the dinner ingredients and got back home. Dinner is not fancy - it's a recipe that I've adapted from Sandra Lee while I was living in Louisiana. See my recipe at the end of this post. I also bought the Sunday paper while out, it's my favorite thing to do on a Sunday morning. Usually I like to watch Food Network while reading the paper. Since I do not have cable yet, I just threw in old episodes of West Wing on dvd. I will always default to an Aaron Sorkin show, or a bad movie intended for 13 year old girls. I also took advantage of the fact that I live above a coffee shop this morning and picked up a non fat, sugar free vanilla latte. Ahhhh, Sunday morning complete. I've finished reading the paper, blog browsing and now I'm off to the library to see if they have any Boston travel guides. Alex asked me to start thinking about plans for my upcoming trip and if there's anything just outside of Boston I'd like to see. I'm not completely aware of what my options are so research is in order.
Then home for dinner later - reminder, this is not a fancy meal. It has canned soup involved.
1 pound beef cut into one inch cubes (I buy the pre cut stew meat)
1 can Golden Mushroom soup
1 cup sliced mushrooms (I used baby portabellas)
about 1/3 cup red wine (whatever is on hand - today was a Malbec)
1 package of dry onion soup mix
Put all ingredients in a crock pot, stir, set on low, and 8 hours later spoon over cooked egg noodles.





You should go to Salem! It's not "just" outside Boston, but fairly close :-)
ReplyDeleteI'm totally bookmarking this recipe! You know I'm always on the hunt for a good slow cooker recipe. Our low was 38 last night - can you believe it?! I'd like to say the cold spell is going to last but it looks like our high is near 80 again in 2 days. Boo.
ReplyDeleteI love pomegranates but have no idea what to do with them either. As a kid we'd pick them and eat the seeds but that got to be quite messy. Now I just enjoy it in juice and Crystal Light. Can't wait to hear how you use it!