Sunday, August 23, 2009

Life in the Fast Lane

Life as a temp is crazy dull, but it is immensely satisfying to get up and contribute something to the world. Even if it processing fees for workers comp claims. The bonus part of this repetitive and tedious task is that I get to see what kind of workers comp claims have been filed and sometimes they are really funny. For example: Employee was injured when the "gut tub" fell on her at the catfish processing plant.

I'll post some other really great ones throughout the next couple weeks. I hate to give them all away. As I said, it's crazy dull, but not a bad life. I work in a big building downtown and love having some purpose and being among all the energy of the city during the day. My office is right along the river and I can sit there and have lunch. I haven't quite adjusted my sleeping schedule, but I'll manage.

At a birthday/engagement dinner for my friend Sarah B, I heard about a calligraphy class being offered at Paper Source here in Lincoln Park. She had signed up and I decided this sounded like a great idea. My mom took a calligraphy class and it looked pretty when she did it, kind of like a script font on your computer. Some of the newer, more modern calligraphies are sooo cool. My friend Kate got married a few months ago and the calligraphy on her invitations was amazing. In fact, I'll have to take a picture and post it here soon. Anyway, it's been on my mind and I signed up for the class with Sarah B.


::Photo from Paper Source website::

Let's talk about Top Chef for a moment also. If you have never watched the show, or have watched in the past but didn't catch the season premiere, now is the time to get hooked. I'm here to tell you this looks like the best season ever. If you did watch, I love Kevin, the chef you used the word "yuck" to describe someone else's dish. It was fun to hear a chef say, "That stuff is just yuck." The new season started last Wednesday, knowing Bravo they are replaying it plenty so you can catch up.

2 comments:

  1. I agree -- Top Chef looks great this season. I thought Puck was hilarious as a judge...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous of your calligraphy class at Paper Source!! What fun and knowing you, you'll use it in every day life :-)

    I can't believe I'm going to say this (and please don't judge me for it) but I've never seen an episode of Top Chef. Sounds like I'm missing out!! Guess I need to set our DVR and watch away.

    While the temp work is incredible monotonous I have a feeling it's going to fuel entertaining stories for years to come! Can't wait to hear you tell them :-)

    ReplyDelete

What do you have to say?