
There's no way to say this with a lot of dignity. I'm going through a bit of a boozing phase. I'm not usually much of a drinker. I used to have wine with dinner when Colin and I went out on Friday night dinners in Louisiana, or when we went to a friends house for dinner, but other than that - not much. It's rare that I'm drunk. Until lately...I thought maybe last weekend would have been the last hurrah on big drinking weekends since both Saturday and Sunday mornings I woke up feeling terrible. Last Friday was Long Island Iced Teas and bowling, Saturday brought chocolate martinis with the girls. Ugh. I was in St. Louis all week working with the CVC and then this weekend, I jumped right back into it. My friend Emily, who has really been generous with her time since I've been up here and is very appreciated, had me and another friend over for her chicken enchiladas and raspberry margaritas. Yum! Emily has these dishes down! She makes this one salsa from scratch and purees the raspberries for the freshest, yummiest margarita. And once those were gone we moved onto wine. Woke up just a little shakey this morning, only to head to a brunch where my friend Carolyn brought a bottle of champagne (it's a BYOB place - it's okay) to make mimosas. Whoa. I'm hoping I hit the proverbial wall soon and not an actual wall because I'm a drunk.
Moving on. Let me tell you more about my friend Carolyn. She and I did the Disney internship together back in 1998. We were both restaurant hostesses at the Disney Studios and we became best pals down in Orlando. We stayed in touch a bit for a couple years, even saw each other a few times, and then it drifted off. Well, as I try to create emotional attachments with people, not stuff (the goal of 2009) I decided to look her up on Facebook. I was successful and she lives in the Chicago area (after 6 years in New Orleans, while I lived in Shreveport! I didn't know.) We made plans to have brunch today and it was fantastic! It's probably been 7 or 8 years since I've seen her. It was so fun to catch up and remember why I liked her so immediately when I met her back in the day. There are certain people who have to experience what you did to really understand it, and only Carolyn can really understand exactly what my Disney college program was like. It's nice to be "got".
I'm off to have dinner at a friends house, where I will be avoiding the red wine that will assuredly be served with dinner. Tomorrow is a big day of fabric shopping with a friend of mine who is looking to make some curtains for a new apartment. Dorky, but I'm really looking forward to it.





Ok, so you've been having fun lately and while having fun, you've had a tad bit too much to drink...sounds pretty normal to me. As long as you know your limit (and I know you do) I think you'll be just fine.
ReplyDeleteThe fact that you're able to gear back up after feeling shaky and terrible from the night before is impressive. The older I get, the worse I feel the "morning after" and there's NO way I can dive back in. I guess that just proves that I'm SO much older than you!
Your food & bev experiences sound delightful (other than the feeling the next day) and I'm glad you're having fun :-)
Miss you.