Monday, April 20, 2009

Cupcakes and rain

Happy to report back on the opening of Phoebe's cupcakes. Saturday was a really nice day here, one of the first where I was starting to feel at home, like this was my life and I wasn't just a visitor.

My mom was in town having come back to Chicago with me from St. Louis last week. She was just one of the girls as we went to a place called Deleece for brunch. It was so great. Everything we ordered sounded amazing and then when plates started arriving we all drooled over what each other had. I had breakfast macaroni and cheese, which was this amazing macaroni with white cheddar, bacon and tomatoes covered in two sunnyside eggs. It sounded strange, but tasted soooo delicious. Next time I'm for sure getting the Pear and Ginger French Toast though. Wow. They also have a lobster eggs benedict and there's ain't nothing wrong with that.

We then headed over to Phoebe's cupcakes, where we thought it was going to be our choice of free cupcake with purchase of coffee - as the emails and press releases said. It turned out they were just handing out the cupcakes for free - no coffee purchase required. That also meant that we didn't get a choice of our flavor cupcake, just whatever we were given. Again, not exactly what I thought we were getting into, but free cupcakes of any flavor are okay with me. The cupcake itself was pretty good - great cake flavor. We had the vanilla and you could see the specks of real vanilla bean in it. That's awesome. The cake to icing ratio was a little high for me. I'm really into cupcakes for the cake and too much icing puts me off. These cupcakes were a little short on cake, but it was just the promo day and I'll be back for a second opinion tomorrow when they "officially" open.

After cupcakes some of the girls went to get pedicures, I went to get mom back on the train and then met up with them in a bit for some shopping fun. We chatted (my mom was a little crabby all weekend, so I did a little venting), we talked about being 30 soon, we searched for a good pair of flats for me (and found some!), and it was just a nice, casual day.

Sunday started with rain, and I was hoping it would let up before that evening because I had tickets to the Cubs/Cards game and I was really excited about it. It never stopped raining and was called as a rainout around 5pm. I'm totally bummed. So, home I stayed and watched some really terrible Lifetime Movies and played a lot of solitaire. I can waste hours of my life on solitaire, it's amazing. This is where I do not love the iphone. It makes electronic solitaire super accessible and I can multi task almost anything while playing.

Countdown to actually getting a couch - 2 days!!! It should be here tomorrow afternoon, then I'll start feeling like a real person even more.

2 comments:

  1. Saturday sounds perfect! Seriously, macaroni & cheese for breakfast?! And to be followed up by a free cupcake? Sounds like heaven to me!

    Bummer you didn't get to pick your flavor. Which did you have your eye on had you been able to choose? Yes, clearly I'm living vicariously through you when it comes to yummy cupcakes. The place here that does them semi-ok is Cush's but I'm not willing to spend $4 on one unless I'm desperate!

    Double bummer the game was rained out but at least you were able to enjoy a lazy day in your apartment. Granted, it probably would have been nicer if you had a couch but I'm fairly certain you made the best out of it!

    I made a banana cake with cinnamon cream cheese frosting last night on a whim and it turned out pretty good. I mixed & matched recipes and would probably tone down the cinnamon next time I make the frosting. I'm all about subtle cinnamon and this was pretty "in your face."

    Can't wait to hear your second review of Pheobe's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun weekend! That breakfast mac & cheese sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete

What do you have to say?