Sunday, March 29, 2009

What Kind of Day Has It Been


I've been holding onto that title for a long time. It's a nod to all of my Sorkin series'. In each one, he has had an episode titled What Kind of Day Has It Been. It was the title of the season one finale for all three, which for Studio 60 also meant the season finale. I've been holding onto this title because it seems fitting. Because I think season one is over.

I'm writing from my apartment in Chicago, which is slowly becoming a place I can call home. It is an apartment for one and I'm doing my best to make it a place that I feel happy and comfortable in. This task will be made much easier once I find a couch that fits into it. There were some serious technical difficulties with the first one I bought - difficulties in that it didn't fit through the door. I have some lovely folding camping chairs with throw blankets over them in the meantime.

I used to be married and soon I won't be, which is still strange to me. This is not a place to talk about why that happened, or why I felt it was the right thing to do, but a place to try and get back to me. I used to be fun and interesting and by golly, I will be again.

I've never taken a risk quite like this before. I don't have a job yet, I don't even have great prospects. I don't know what will happen tomorrow, and certainly not what will happen in a month or two. It's strange to now know - not even know how to predict. I could be a city tour guide or a cashier at Crate and Barrel and for the first time, I think maybe either of those could be enough for me.

I bought an iphone. A total splurge when I should be saving every dime until I'm employed again. I love it. I had no idea how much I would, but I do. I love the goofy little games I can play while I'm on the bus, or the map which will help me a ton as a navigate this new city.

This city - Chicago. For a decade I've said that my soul is at home here. This is where my happy place has been. I love the bustle and the noise and people and opportunity. And while I'm very familiar with some areas or some aspects of the city, there is so much here I don't know about, but I can learn.

I feel a little lonely sometimes. But I have great friends, and as I crawl out of the hole I've been hiding in for quite some time, I hope more and more of them come out to play. I'll have to go after some of them and remind them that I'm still around, but I am - I'm still here.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're back and you've, once again, found your voice. I know how long you've been struggling and while I can't make it all better, I can encourage you to use your voice. You are amazing and full of courage and strength and wit and I truly don't know what I'd do without you in my life. I feel blessed & lucky to be able to call you my friend and I hope you know I'll be here for you (and with you) every step of the way. As soon as American offers up a great deal from Shreveport you can bet your knitting & baking supplies that I'll be knocking down your door.

    Although I don't have you around to hang out with anymore, I'm thrilled to pieces I can once again hang out with you online. I've missed your voice - so glad you're back!!

    p.s. I made lemon curd last night and thought of you not only while I was making it but while we were enjoying it today with the same lemon cake we feasted on last Easter. As good as it is (and it is amazing!), it just doesn't taste the same without you to share it with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes a strong person to make the kind of changes that you've made. It's sounds scary and uncertain right now, but things WILL get better. Good for you for being true to yourself and be brave enough to start things brand new :-) Please keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete

What do you have to say?