As I mentioned, a major goal of 2009 is to use the resources I've got. Namely, my extensive cookbook collection. I jumped right in last night, choosing a book, letting the husband randomly pick a page number and off we went.

I chose Ellie Krieger's The Food You Crave as our first book. Colin randomly picked page 193 and away we went. Page 193 was Pork Medallions with Cherry Sauce, I added the mushroom and green bean recipe in her side dishes section and off to the grocery store we went. Dinner was amazing! I love making a sauce and the one that went on the pork was so easy, and soo delicious. I would make this again and again.
1 1/4 pound pork tenderloin cut into 1/2 inch thick medallions
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 tsp olive oil
2 T shallots, chopped
3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
2 T balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup dried tart cherries
Season pork medallions with 1/4 tsp of the salt and pepper. Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a large skillet over a medium-high heat and cook the meat through until there is just a slight blush in the center about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the meat to a plate and tent with aluminum foil.
Add the remaining 1 tsp oil and the shallot to the pan to cook, stirring, until it begins to soften, about 1 minute. Add teh broth, vinegar, the remaining salt, and the cherries and cook until the liquid is reduced by half, about 4 minutes (this took a little longer for us). Taste and adjust seasonsing, if necessary. Pour sauce over medallions and serve.
Yum. The sauce was perfect, easy and really very flavorful. What will the next cookbook be? Stay tuned...





Pork Medallions with Cherry Sauce sounds so delicious! I might try to cook too:)
ReplyDelete