Saturday, January 3, 2009

Napoleon's Battle Plan

According to Sports Night, where I took today's title from, Napoleon had a two part battle plan.

1. Show up.
2. See what happens.

I'm adopting that as my New Years guideline. I make resolutions every year. I've made some that stuck - like the year Laura and I started our cross country book club, or the year I said I'd make the t-shirt quilt (see photo at left), or last years which was learn to knit. I've learned grand plans and statements aren't successful, that it shouldn't take a new year to start a resolution revolution and small accomplishments make for a better year.


This year it's about my cookbook collection. I have many. Too many to count. Probably near 70, plus all the cooking magazines - Bon Appetit, Rachel Ray, Taste of Home, Cooking Illustrated not to mention the one offs I just buy in the store occasionally. So many recipes, so many dog eared pages implying I thought it looked good and I'd like to try it. So many hundreds of dollars on cookbooks - bargain ones, old ones, passed down ones, pretty hardback ones, celebrity Food Network ones, baking ones, healthy cooking ones, impossible appetizer ones, cooking for the seasons ones...the list goes on.

So I decided each week a minimum of one time to pull a cookbook off the shelf and make some recipe out of it. By the end of the year I need to have made something out of each cookbook I own.

Lastly, on this New Years blog I'm going to reference a couple of friends who are often wise and always helpful. I got a note from Laura telling me that we get to start over with a whole new year. That's always very optimistic and I like the sound of it. And Cyndi, whose blog post today was simple, but perfect. She shared this sentiment found on a Good Luck card,


1 comment:

  1. I love your idea about making use of recipes and cookbooks you already have. I don't have near the collection you do but we have plenty and I can assure you they're not used as often as they should be. I love how you randomly picked one (from your post today) and I think this is something Lee & I will be doing as well. As always, thank YOU for inspiring me!!

    ReplyDelete

What do you have to say?